Every DC Films Movie In Order: The Extended Universe Timeline By Release Date And Across Official Continuity
Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Harley Quinn or the very Joker are much more than superheroes and villains: they are icons that have transcended into popular culture. Born in comics, we have enjoyed them through print, television and video games; and in HBO Max we have proposed that you enter the ambitious universe of DC Films through the simplest and most practical guide.
- Movies already released
- Synopsis of the DC Films universe to date
- Joss Whedon’s Justice League or Zack Snyder’s?
- Upcoming Movies from DC Films
- Independent DC Film Movies
- DC Films: All movies by release date
- DC Films: all movies and series in chronological order
- Where are Joker, The Batman and the Arrowverse series?
Unlike Marvel, Warner Bros. has opted to bring the DC Comics universe to the big screen in a very unique way: there are all kinds of adaptations of Batman or the Joker that obey only the vision of the director and the studio. Now, among so much overproduction there is a line of films that shares continuity and that was born from Man of Steel and the vision of filmmaker Zack Snyder.
With that established, our objective is twofold: first we are going to establish which films are part of the DC Films universe and, on the other hand, we are going to organize them in two types of order so that you can enjoy them however you want.
- The release order in which each film or series officially debuted.
- The chronological order that follows the events in the order in which they occurred.
However, we are also going to dare to contemplate the future of the DC expanded universe by sharing the films that Warner Bros will release in the coming years.
DC Films: All movies by release date
Starting to watch the 11 released movies of the DC Expanded Universe in the same order in which they hit the big screen is the easiest thing to do. Some of them take place in the past, but Warner Bros. originally planned the films to be seen in order and, after Justice League, offer individual stories that can be seen independently.
Movies already released
- Man of Steel (2013), watch on HBO Max
- Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016) watch on HBO Max
- Suicide Squad (2016) watch on HBO Max
- Wonder Woman (2017) watch on HBO Max
- Justice League (2017) see on Movistar+
- Aquaman (2018) watch on HBO Max
*Shazam! (2019) watch on HBO Max
- Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (2020) watch on HBO Max
- Wonder Woman 1984 (2020) see on Movistar+
- Zack Snyder’s Justice League (2021) watch on HBO Max
- The Suicide Squad (2021) watch on HBO Max
Synopsis of the DC Films universe to date
Superman is considered the most emblematic and recognizable superhero of all, which was the perfect spearhead to build the great DC Comics film project. Released in 2013, Man of Steel tells how Clark Kent, a simple farmer’s son from Smallville, accepts his destiny as the protector of humanity.
The truth is that Superman is not the only superhero in the world. In Gotham City, it is said that there is a masked vigilante who leaves a mysterious mark in the shape of a bat. Of course, long before they were both born, an incredible Amazon had already saved the world from countless threats.
And between small-time evildoers and enemies of enormous power, one question: what if a threat was once powerful enough to defeat every single hero? When the time comes, it will be necessary to unite the forces of the champions of the Earth and the Oceans. But first, each hero must find himself.
Joss Whedon’s Justice League or Zack Snyder’s?
As you may have seen, there are two versions of The Justice League and two Suicide Squad movies. And it has its why:
Justice League (released 2017) provides the story within the DC Extended Universe canon, while Zack Snyder’s Justice League (2021) is the expanded and edited montage by filmmaker Zack Snyder in which many of the scenes are completely reinterpreted. But it is out of continuity and out of chronology.
Suicide Squad (2016) features a group of super villains who operate in parallel to the superheroes. Despite its name, The Suicide Squad (2021) works as a sequel, although between the two films we find Birds of Prey (2020).
DC Films: all movies and series in chronological order
Viewing all DC Films productions in the order of events is as interesting an option as the release order itself. In the process, one of the films is lost, since it is the director’s cut, but a series released directly on television is won. To what extent is the order of the movies altered? Well, starting who now starts the story is the very Wonder Woman.
2.Wonder Woman 1984
3. Man of Steel
4. Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice
5. Suicide Squad
6. The Justice League
9. Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn)
10. The Suicide Squad
11. The Peacemaker -[TV Series] Season 1, watch on HBO Max
For reference, the Peacemaker works as a Spin-Off of The Suicide Squad, although-without going into details-throughout the season we will see that there is a direct and very naughty connection with the rest of the DC Cinematic Universe.
Upcoming Movies from DC Films
The plans of the Extended Universe of DC continue from this point, and despite the fact that its temporary location has not been specified, its future looks wonderful: no less than six films will be released before 2024, including two sequels direct from Shazam and Aquaman, and a The Flash that makes you turn upside down the multiverse of DC movies.
- Black Adam (October 21, 2022)
*Shazam! Fury of the Gods (December 16, 2022)
- Batgirl (December 2022)
- Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom (March 17, 2023)
- The Flash (June 23, 2023)
- Blue Beetle (August 18, 2023)
Where are Joker, The Batman and the Arrowverse series?
That there was a saga of films based on DC Comics characters does not prevent Warner from continuing to explore the possibilities of its star characters. In fact, since the premiere of the Justice League, new solo movies have been released, heroes and villains like The Batman or Joker that work completely independently and can be seen out of order since they are not related to any of the movies. previous.
Independent DC Film Movies
- Joker (2019) watch on HBO Max
- The Batman (2022) watch on HBO Max
- Injustice (2021) watch on HBO Max
- DC League of Super-Pets (2022)
When it comes to the Arrowverse, things are a bit more complicated. The DC television universe built using the Arrow series as a spearhead has evolved in unique ways and, in the process, has had ties through the exploration of the concept of multiverses with virtually every film and production shot to date.. All in all, it won’t be until The Flash, premieres in 2023, when we can fit it into the set.